Monday, April 4, 2011

The Old Doors of Tripoli: Underglazing


In the photo that accompanies my previous post below, the porcelain clay has been patterned, cropped, drilled, trimmed, beveled and sponged.


Several hours of work later, each button now has layers of underglazes, glazes and stains, in the hope of patinas and combinations that will reference Hibo's photographs of Tripoli's old doors.

I fall back on skills learned in theater technical classes, where I learned to make common materials look like anything from cloth, rich wood, cinder block... to fine alabaster.

There is still more work to be done before they are ready to fire.

2 comments:

Sue Michael said...

I like that they are buttons. To me buttons are like little doors. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Victoria Cochran said...

Thanks, Sue, for the thoughtful observation--they are indeed doors. Profound connection to make.